Summer already! Cleaning Time!
Its summer already!
Summertime in Coeur d’Alene brings great weather, outdoor activities, and fun. With summer, real estate season really starts to kick off and rental season explodes! One of the questions we get asked all the time is proper rental unit cleaning. Many times, people decide to treat their deposit as “last months rent.” It is unfortunate because we follow very strict policies regarding the return of security deposits! When it comes to cleaning, it really does pay! Here are a few great tips to remember as you prepare to get your hands dirty!
- Don’t forget under the stove and fridge. Many people forget to clean out under the stove and fridge (usually the stove has a drawer. Under there gets pretty dirty). We always check to make sure its clean and doesn’t have any leftover kitchen smell!
- Dust out the cabinets. Mostly as a courtesy to the new renters, take a rag and quickly clean out the drawers and cabinets. The next renters will thank you!
- Washer/dryer space cleaning. Its sometimes amazing how dirty around our laundry gets! Make sure there isn’t any grime stuck on the machines or the floor in front of the units!
- Base heaters. For apartments and homes with electric heat, clean off the tops and sides of the units! They will often get super dusty and gross.
- Clean the blinds. We know everyone hates cleaning blinds, but its a necessary evil. Trust us, its not THAT hard. CAREFULLY remove the blinds, making sure they are fully extended. Fill up your bathtub with water (pre cleaning, its about to get dirty). CAREFULLY let the blinds soak for a few minutes in slightly soapy water. GENTLY wash them off with a soapy rag, moving from side to side. Rinse them off, and hang up on window. After drying, take a windex covered paper towel and clean off the water spots. If you did it right (just follow our instructions) they will be cleaner then when you moved in! On average you will save yourself 50.00 per blind we have to clean! Its almost free money!
- Wipe down the trim. Around the edges of the wall gets super dusty. Windex and paper towels will do the trick.
Those are the biggest ones that folks forget about. In general, just do what your mom taught you: spray, wipe, dry, repeat! Most of the time with a little bit of effort you can walk away with your deposit and no troubles! Spend it on some summer fun, you earned it!